Port Hueneme Historical Society Museum
Just steps from the Beach, the Museum holds countless treasures from the City's past.
The Port Hueneme Historical Society Museum is located at 220 N Market Street in Port Hueneme. Built in 1925, the building was originally the Bank of Hueneme, then it was the city's first City Hall. Today, the Museum - listed as Ventura County Landmark No. 32 - houses historical artifacts, photographs and information on the history of the Hueneme area. Famed architect Myron Hunt designed the building, who was also responsible for designing the Bard Mansion, the Huntington Library in San Marino, and the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles.
Displays are maintained by the City's Administration and Community Services Department and the Historical Museum Commission.
2019 Museum Sponsored Events
- Jan. 19, Apr. 20, Jul 20, Oct. 19 Lighthouse Tours 10-1 (sign up for van)
- Museum Sundays with Johnny Adamson Jr. 12-3 PM The Docent with all the answers. Ask him anything about PH history during most of the 20th Century.
- Sunday February 10 Gourd Painting Class noon (must register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Second and fourth Thursdays at 10:30AM Origami Workshop
- Third Friday History of the Port Tour 10:00AM (must register/watch film)
- Fourth Sunday Scrapbooking @noon
2019 Distinguished Speaker Series
The Museum is hosting a "Distinguished Speaker Series" featuring special guest speakers sharing experiences or historical information about people and places in Ventura County. This is a wonderful opportunity if you are interested in local history.
All ages welcome and free of charge. These events normally are held on Saturdays at the Museum, at 11 a.m, but see the schedule below for exact dates and times.
- January 12 Charles T. Watson “Understanding Brain Injuries”
- January 26 Ethel Todd “Understanding Modern Art”
- February 2 Steve Stocks “Reminiscences of a Coast GuardSailor during WWII in the Pacific
- February 9 Dr. Colleen Delaney “From Rancho Guadalasca toCamarillo State Hospital to CSUCI”
- February 16 Jim Kosinski and Jerry Leckie “Maritime Historyof Ventura County Coast”
- February 23 Murray McEachron “History of Steelhead Trout inVentura County”
- March 9 Gary Johnson, formerly of Los Angeles Fire "Emergency Preparedness"
- March 16 Tom Peterson, Carriage Museum, “The History &Pageantry of the Dixie Thompson Saddle”
- March 23 People Making a Difference Award: The Stewart Family, City Hall
- March 30 Peggy Kelly “Thornton Edwards, Hero of the St.Francis Dam Disaster”
- April 6 Wayne Dey “The Day the Vikings Arrived in America”
- April 13 John Krist “Lewis and Clark Expedition: Voyage of Rediscovery”
- May 4 Denis O’Leary “History of Cinco de Mayo”
- May 18 Jose Rivera “Indian Mission Vagueros: The First Western American Cowboys”
- May 27 Third Annual Memorial Day (City Hall) @8:30 AM
- June 1 Bridge Carney “PT-157: Their missions in theSolomons and rescue of Lt. (jg) Kennedy and the PT-109 Crew”
- June 14 Hueneme Spirit Award: Helen Brant and Circleof Service Exemplar: Capt. Mike and Cheryl Saum @Bard Mansion 5:30pm
- June 15 Dr. Jose M. Alamillo Professor Chicano Studies CSU,Channel Islands “La Voz de La Colonia: Colonia’s News Source from1926-1932”
- June 22 Linda Bentz “The Chinese In Ventura County”
- June 29 Connie Korenstein “History of the Port of Hueneme”
- July 13 Sean Anderson “Plastics in Oceans”
- July 20 Annie Little “Feral Cats and Shore Bird Restorationon St. Nicholas Island”
- July 27 Richard Senate “The Paranormal in Ventura County”
- August 3 Jim Kosinski “North and South Civil War Navies”
- August 10 Gerry Olsen “Western Ventura County Grades”
- August 17 Dr. Ranier Buschmann “The End of World War I”
- August 24 Diane Mautner and Connie Kornstein “BrandeisSisters on NYC Radio WCOR”
- September 21 Frank Barajas “Chicana/o Movement in VenturaCounty”
- October 12 Professor Joan Peters “#Me Too; Then and Now”
- October 26 Gary Johnson “Disaster Preparedness”
- November 2 Anthropologist Dr. Mark Fleischmann “HumanVariations”
- November 9 Mayor Will Berg “Fun with Chinese Characters”
- November 11 Fourth Annual Veterans Day (City Hall) @8:30 AM
- November 16 Joy Todd “Pleasant Valley Historical Figures”
Port Hueneme Historical Society Museum
220 Market St, Port Hueneme 93041 805-488-0585
Hours: Tu, W, Th, Fri, Sat 9:00 AM-3:00PM Sun12:00-3:00PM
Like us on Facebook