Sidewalk Maintenance Program

Sidewalk maintenance, compliance requirements, sidewalk repair and other resources.



Why did I receive a sidewalk letter? 

You have received a letter because of a deficiency or maintenance issue with sidewalk adjacent to your property, brought to our attention through a complaint the City received. See City Municipal Code 6011.City Municipal Code 6011

How do I know my sidewalk is out of compliance? 

Sidewalk deficiencies may include heaving, tripping hazard surface deficiencies, lifting due to tree root, cracking, sloping, etc. 

Who is responsible for the sidewalk in front of my house?

Per City Municipal Code 6011, 6012 and California Streets and Highways Code Section 5610. Property owners are responsible of maintaining sidewalks adjacent to their property in good repair and unobstructed.  You will need a Encroachment permit from the City to complete repairs (see more information on Encroachment Permits here).

Who can fix my sidewalk? 

The sidewalk is part of the City’s right-of-way, and the City requires that anyone working within the City right-of- way be a licensed contractor who is qualified to work in the City has insurance and is qualified to make the repair. 

Who and What is a City Qualified Contractor?

A City qualified contractor is one that meets criteria, such as having the appropriate level of insurance, contractor license, City business license and any necessary appropriate documents, i.e. Traffic control plan. For more information see our Encroachment Permit page here.  

What do I do if my sidewalk is out of compliance due to a tree?

As a property owner, you are responsible for trees on your property, as well as for maintaining the health of trees in the right-of-way between your property and the nearest travel lane. If you do not want to remove the tree, you may need to hire an arborist to determine what needs to be done to repair the sidewalk and keep the tree.

A tree located in the right-of-way, if planted by the City will be handled by the City. Any trees planted in the parkway or right-of-way requires approval by Public Works

How much is a Encroachment Permit for sidewalk repair?

Each right-of-way permit is based on the scope of work to be completed. A fee is charged to cover the time of the City inspector to come and inspect the sidewalk. Any encroachment fee for a driveway apron repair initiated by the owner will be waived and the City will cover inspection costs. To learn more, please contact Public Works Engineering at

Where can I get more information on the City’s Sidewalk Maintenance Program?

Our Sidewalk Maintenance Program can be found here