Welcome from the Mayor of Port Hueneme
Hello Port Hueneme!
I am honored and humbled to be elected your Mayor for 2020 and look forward to another great year for our friendly City by the sea. My primary goal is to continue the momentum generated in 2019 by working together with my colleagues on the City Council, our illustrious City staff and you, as involved members of this community. Together, we can become the “small city doing great things!”
I, along with your City Council have been bestowed with the unique honor of serving the people of Port Hueneme. You have entrusted us with using our best judgment in representing your interests in community decision-making and policy development. It is my job as Mayor to lead the City Council in the creation and improvement of City policies that benefit the future of our City as a whole; the represented and the non-represented. I hope to accomplish this by encouraging community engagement and inclusion, supporting our City staff, and fostering cooperative relationships within and outside of City.
Thanks to you, our voters, taxpayers, businesses, and funding partners, the City’s budget is now in the black and we are making needed improvements to City facilities, parks, beaches and streets. Staff is also receiving the tools they need to do the hard work involved in bringing our City back into shape and improving services to our residents.
Here are some of our key objectives for 2020.
- Hire a new City Manager
- Host the 20th anniversary memorial for the Families of Alaska Flight 261 on January 31, 2020;
- Implement the City’s New Strategic Plan for internal management and operational improvements;
- Implement City’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Budget for Citywide improvements;
- Develop and Implement Master Plan for City Parks;
- Bring back the long awaited “Hueneme Beach Festival”;
- Convene the Citizen Advisory Board in support of the City’s goals;
- Develop plans designating Puerto Vallarta as our Official Sister City;
- Develop the City’s Emergency Management Program to improve Citywide preparedness and community education;
- Collaborate with local stakeholders to protect of our beach from coastal erosion;
- Develop and implement solutions for the City’s Homeless through community engagement and assistance from the County of Ventura;
- Conduct a citywide assessment of City technology and technical services.
I encourage our community members to stay informed, get involved, and be part of the solution to the many issues we will face this year and in the future. Fresh air, clean beaches and an expansive view of the Channel Islands are only some of what makes Port Hueneme special. It’s the community of people that make our City exceptional. Let’s do this together!
Laura D. Hernandez
City of Port Hueneme